Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Hello Paperwork, Good-Bye Cincinnati


Our Visas arrived just as scheduled. Somehow, I was expecting more than a giant sticker inside of our passports. That said, YAHOO, we have them.


Oh, the trials and tribulations of the final paperwork. We had the schedule down like clockwork ... I would go to the Hamilton County Courthouse at 8 AM, get the new notarized medicals and extra passport copies county certified, drive that back home (just 10 minutes one way), and then Glenn would be on his way.

Last night, we had the final paperwork notarized at our bank -- a bank that is blocks from our house and squarely in the middle of Hamilton County. Well, I got to the Clerk of Courts this morning, and it turns out the bank notary was commissioned in another county! Now, admittedly, this is on me, as I didn't think to verify that her commission was issued in the county in which we were all standing. The people at the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts could not have been nicer -- they felt my pain (and likely noticed the blood drain from my face), and they quickly gave me the court house address for the neighboring county. Off I went, high-tailing it to downtown Batavia, Ohio, to get additional county certifications. I then drove north, and met Glenn north of the beltway so that he was at least on his way. He got on the road at about 10:15 AM, and he managed to make it to Canton (240 miles) in 3.5 hours. (Thank you, Highway Patrol Gods, for cutting us a break today). I had called ahead, and he said the ladies in Stark County were waiting on him. Minutes later, he was back in the car, and he made it to Columbus around 4 (they apostille docs until 4:30). He was then back in the car around 4:30, and home by 6:30. Needless to say, as I type this, he is resting comfortably. :-)

Thursday night: focus on packing.

Thanks for all of the cheering and support. We can hear you!

13 comments:

Tricia said...

Wow, what a day! Glad it all worked out. I thought the same thing about the Visa sticker. You are soon on your way!!! Best Wishes!

dnd82001 said...

Hopefully this will be the only hiccup and the rest will flow smoothly along.

Safe travels and keep on posting.
Darlene

Susan said...

oh my goodness-Jeez!!! I'm glad it all worked out. The fun of this paperwork. My favorite one so far for us was when I realized that the notary thing was "wrong" on a lot of our documents. Fortunately, it was easy to fix, but who knew each state had a certain way or certain things to be included? The notaries don't know--so why should we? The close 2nd annoying thing was that we had to find a new doctor because ours had their medical license expiring too soon. The third most annoying thing was that my mortgage company was impossible.
But, really, when you add it all up, that's not a big deal or a big price to pay for a cute lil Kazakh kiddo. :)

I'm so glad you finally have a blog. :)
Isn't the support wonderful?
Can't wait to cheer you guys on in country

Sounds like the visa sticker is rather unimpressive, rather like the "coveted i-171h" that came on a plain boring ole piece of paper.

Good luck packing. I'm nervous about that part too. I am a horrible packer.

Sandi said...

I am so happy that things worked out. Paper chasing right before travel is stressful. Good luck packing, pack light... you will be so happy you did.

The start of your journey is just about to begin.

sandi

kitzkazventure said...

I am so laughing...."with you" not at you. We soooo had the same thing happen! First, I asked our notary where she was registered and she even thought she was registered here but NO....so off we went 45 minutes away to do all of our documents.....luckily that county was free after the first document and that was the majority of the dossier documents so YEAH...our county charged per document! And, the midnight hour one like yours was by a kindly secretary who thought she was doing us a favor by having their notary do the medical document that we had to re-new for us without asking us if we needed it.....well we did but not by a notary registered 2 counties away! So, off we went to beat the clock before they closed so we could still get to the capital also before it closed. So funny now....it was like an adventure movie! I actually freak out at that type of pressure but then do my best under that type of pressure...go figure! Call me tonight if you want me to help you decide what to keep in and what to take out and leave! ;) So close, so close. k

Steph and Dusty said...

Karen and Glenn,
You left a post on my blog so I checked out your blog. Congratulations to you both. Can you believe you leave tomorrow? Good luck and we will be wishing you all the best. The Baker Family.

Susan & Truman said...

Karen - I can feel the anxiousness in your blog! Oh my goodness - I would have been a wreck. We also have the added step of county certifying here in KY and I drove all over one day just getting docs certified here and there. But just think, only one more day of this and you are on your way to Kaz! I'm so excited for you and Glenn! Can't wait to read more.
S&T in KY

Angela said...

Amazing! What a time to have a blip in paperwork. Great recovery! Happy packing!

Anonymous said...

Karen and Glenn,
i m so excited that you got your visas came yesterday i m glad you got all the running done that you needed to get and i m so excited for you both
austin and zoe are excited also

Chris Sapp said...

I traveled two years ago Dec. to meet my two children in Ust. Looking forward to following your journey as you begin the best chapter in your life!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting your blog address on the Ust group. We adopted our son from Ust in 07.

Congrats on making it to the best part of the journey. Safe travels and good luck. Can't wait to read you've found your little one.

Anonymous said...

This is all so... exciting!! Please know we are praying for you. Can't wait to keep reading!
Be Blessed!

auntsharon said...

Glenn and Karen,

We are praying for your safe return home with our newest addition to the family! Keep us posted, we enjoy reading your blog. We will be waiting for you all with open arms full of love and encouragement!!!