Three flights down, one to go, before we are in the same city as our son. We are sitting in the Almaty airport, waiting out the second of our long layovers. We already spent eight hours in Amsterdam, so this five hour wait is a piece of cake. As many people know, the Almaty airport has free wifi, although finding an electrical outlet for a dying battery is slightly more challenging than accessing the Internet. I’m about to go off on that electricity search, Magellan EuroSurge converter and power cord in hand.
We’ve blogged before about one trip vs. two, as Ust is still a region that makes it possible to complete the adoption in one trip of 8-9 weeks. It is still my humble opinion that each parent or set of parents should evaluate the pros and cons as they relate to their particular personal circumstances, make the decision (after potentially changing your minds, even while in country – like we did!), and then just go with the decision and don’t second guess yourselves (or let others second guess you) as the process unwinds. If, by chance, you are looking for another “pro” for the “pros” and “cons” of two trips, we have a suggested entry: it is about 100 times less stressful to travel to Kaz for trip 2 than it was for trip 1. ☺
We were such newbies during our first trip, despite being relatively frequent travelers. The added stress seemed to melt away our travel intelligence and we became the stars in what felt like a cross between Blast From the Past (the Brendan Fraser movie about the guy who lived in a bomb shelter for 20 years) and The Beverly Hillbillies” (without the oil riches). On this trip, we are so much more relaxed, and we feel like travel veterans again. We remembered to take advantage of our frequent flyer status at each check-in point, and although we could not upgrade to business class, we could "upgrade" to better seats in coach, around empty seats, so we had room to stretch out. The KLM flight between Amsterdam and Almaty was only two-thirds full, and the flight attendants carefully orchestrated who was permitted to move around, using frequent flyer status to determine priority. We each had two seats to ourselves on one of the side aisles, and we have arrived into Almaty feeling rested. We have no delusions of grandeur that our flights home will be stress-free, so it’s been nice to enjoy these last 30 hours.
Packing was also a breeze compared to our first trip. We brought very few clothes for ourselves, sharing one suitcase between us. I probably still overpacked for Zak (his name this week – still deciding!), partially because we wanted to bring many of the toys and books that we played with during our month together, hoping to spark some familiarity.
We are also the very proud couriers of a third large duffel bag, packed full of donations facilitated and provided by Two Hearts for Hope, a charity started by two mothers who adopted from Kazakhstan. If you are a family who has donated to Two Hearts for Hope, thank you!! We are thrilled to be able to help deliver these generous donations! If you are traveling to Kaz, particularly on a second or third trip when you know you will have some capacity to carry along a few more things, I highly encourage you to contact Kimberly and Stacy at Two Hearts for Hope. You can find their contact information and additional information about the charity and its Board of Directors (made up of primarily adoptive parents) at http://www.twoheartsforhope.blogspot.com. We cannot wait to deliver the plethora of pajamas, clothing, toiletries, and other childrens’ items to the Ust baby house. And, of course, they can always use more donations – those details can be found on their website as well.
We should arrive to The Shiny River by about 3:00 PM on Friday afternoon. We hope to spend the ride from the airport to the hotel encouraging our driver and/or coordinator to take us to the Baby House for what would be the regular 4:00 PM visit. We were unable to get confirmation before we left as to whether we’d first reunite with Zak on Friday or Saturday. Needless to say, it will be painful if we are asked to wait until Saturday.
We are holding in our hands our round-trip tickets to/from Ust, so we are already booked to come back to Almaty on Sunday. So, our trip into Ust is a quick one, and it looks like we will spring Zak from the baby house on Sunday, and go right to the airport to head back to Almaty.
We know the little guy is going to be shell-shocked. We guesstimate that we will be, too.
Thank you so much for continuing to keep us in your thoughts and prayers. It’s going to be a phenomenal six days, and we are so honored and appreciative to have so many people along for our journey.
Here we come, Zak!
13 comments:
As Nick would say with his fists clenched and giving a little wiggle....OOOOOh, "so 'cited" and insert squeal of anticipation! ;)
Happy thoughts are with you! karen
So glad to hear that your trip went well. I am sure that I will be doing two trips also to conserve time off work so I am glad to hear the pros about it.
Zak is beautiful.
I am very excited for you and you can count me as one of those people praying for you. I am honored and appreciative that you allowed us to follow this wonderful journey with you.
I almost forgot--thanks so much for taking a box of donatios from Two Hearts for Hope--it is wonderful to know that our donations are getting to the children that need them.
What a cute photo! Happy travels - so glad you are almost there! And, thanks for sharing your journey. It is awesome watching your family grow!
We are still struggling with the one trip - two trip thing. Thanks for your input.
How wonderful you are taking a "duffel of donations". If we do the two trip 'plan' we would like to do the same.
so glad you guys are almost their to get zak man cannt wait to meet him save travels to you has a family we love you
I am eagerly anticipating your reunion with Zak!!! Can't wait to read all about it!
Treasure the moments you have when you arrive to take Zak out the baby house. You will remember them all the days of your lives.
All the best, Pam and Nicholas
I hope your travels continue to go well. I can't wait to see updates! :-)
That picture melts my heart!!!
I am glad to see an update from you guys.
I am glad you are so pro two trips, since we will be making 2 and possibly even 3 trips since court is typically 30 days out from the end of bonding.
I am so excited for you guys and I think Zak will remember you and be so happy you've returned for him.
I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable like the TRAVEL STUDS that you are. Feel comfortable now, cuz i'm not sure how "at ease" you'll feel with the mobile toddler on tow who has never flown before. :)
Hugs to you guys and I hope it's a quick quick trip like expected.
I get to meet Alyona, Andrey, and Alexa tomorrow!! I'm psyched!
Now, let's sing along..with Peaches and Herb...
Reunited and it feel so gooooooooooooood
Reunited cuz we understood
that breakup we had
has made me lonesome and sad
I feel like i love ya cuz i want you back hey hey
:)
Reunited with zak attack! Or max.
or whatever you decide to call him.
So glad to hear that you are back in country again and will soon be making your journey home with Zak. We look forward to seeing pictures of him in his new home with his mama and papa! How very exciting. And I agree, each persons journey is individual and you sometimes don't know what your plan will be until you get here. Good luck and safe journey home. Tricia and Chris
Checking in today - hope that that Zak/Max has been sprung!
How exciting we are going to ave a new Ohio resient... I hope that we get to meet up some day! I am so excited for you all. Can't wait to hear how this trip goes.
YIPPIE!!!!
Tracy
Congratulations on becoming a family of three. How wonderful (and surreal) it must all feel. Very happy for you.
Now onto Almaty where the process is a relatively easy one. Safe travels.
Post a Comment