Wednesday, June 11, 2008

One More Week

We've received confirmation that we should be in Ust on June 20, so we are leaving home on Wednesday, June 18. We miss Zak so much, but we trust our agency that this is the "right" timing for our return. The good news is that all of his paperwork will be in order, so we will go to Almaty just a few short days later (probably on June 22), and we hope to fly home on June 26. So, we will only be away from home for 8 days, and we will start our life together only a few days later than we'd been predicting. It looks like we will reconnect in Ust and/or Almaty with at least two of the sets of parents who we met a month ago, and we are overjoyed to be doing so.

I spent an hour last Saturday at the Delta counter in the Cincinnati airport, where two agents (both amazingly helpful) partnered to try everything possible to enable us to fly on Delta's direct flight to Amsterdam, to then connect to the KLM flight to Almaty. I am a Platinum Medallion member on Delta, and I have a gazillion frequent flyer miles that I've been dutifully saving for this amazing moment. But, wouldn't you know, there was simply NO WAY to use any of those miles -- no upgrades, no free tickets, nothing. And, the only way to get on that direct Delta flight was to purchase a Delta RT tix to Amsterdam, and a separate RT tix on KLM to Almaty. Those two tickets added together were $3000 EACH more than the Northwest/KLM trek. For a split second, that still sounded reasonable (have I lost my mind?!) because a direct flight home from Amsterdam sounds so amazing. I might have jumped firmly into lunacy had it been possible to upgrade on that Delta leg. But, that was not going to be possible, so it is Northwest/KLM for us, and a connection through Detroit both coming and going. So, while it would have been great for Zak to become a citizen upon landing in Cincinnati -- well, really Northern Kentucky, which is where the Cincinnati airport is located -- he will instead become a citizen upon landing at Detroit Metro. Both of my parents are from Detroit, so perhaps there is a message in there somewhere. :-)

We finally set up a crib and a changing table. I am so glad that we did not spend alot of money on a crib (bought it second-hand from a friend), because as we stand and stare at it, we can already picture our solid, tough 18-month-old child climbing out of it! I have a feeling we'll be searching for a toddler bed sooner than later. I can't believe my baby is already growing up before our eyes, and he's not even here yet! LOL!

It's amazing how much less stressful it is to prepare for this second trip. We are packing very light this time ... the only "excess" stuff will be things that we are taking for Zak. The same friend who gave us the crib also gave us dozens of shirts, pants, and shorts -- in a variety of sizes from 18 months to 2T. I had so much fun laundering everything over the weekend, and everything is folded and ready to go into a suitcase. I'm still mulling over his "baby house exit" outfit. I know I want it to be special, but I don't want to appear to be too over-the-top with it. (Plus, it's hard to predict the weather). I'll give that more thought this weekend, but if anyone has any advice or suggestions, please let me know.

I jibber-jabbered on forever last night with a couple who are leaving Thursday evening for Ust. I hope I was helpful more than I was annoyingly giddy. I was just so excited to share all of those memories and experiences with someone who is about to start their journey -- Glenn thinks I was both over-the-top and long-winded. I'll try to be better when the next set of parents come calling. :-)

One. More. Week.

19 comments:

Stacey, Dave and Rylan said...

I'm so excited for you! We've been home with our son (from Uralsk) for a month and a half, and are enjoying every minute with him. We stayed in Kaz for 9 1/2 weeks, and although it was hard on us, I'm sure leaving Zak was even harder. Your reunion will be so special! Enjoy every moment with your son. It's true, your life will never be the same - it will be a million times better!

The Cook said...

sophia became a citizen in good old detroit too! So glad you are so close to being reunited with your little guy.

Susan said...

yay!! one more week will fly like the wind!!!!

I am so excited for you guys!!!
Yay on the hand me down crib and clothes too!! you are so smart!!!
I am kinda regretting the gorgeous crib I got, but oh well, it's there and there is no kid in it yet. :)

I DOUBT you were over the top and long winded. That sounds like something Joe would say to me. :)
I am sure that the mom to be appreciated it and maybe the guy thought that, but who cares what the guy thought. :)
I am sure you helped them so much.
I know way more than JOe does, cuz I'm an obessive blog stalker. I doubt he would have recognized that cute baby I saw as a Kaz baby, but I DID cuz I know my Kaz kids!!

I am super excited for you to take a nice short trip to get Zak and bring the boy home!!!

I know it was hard to leave him, but i think it'd be easier to get back to work and getting his room ready, etc, when you can't see him very much in Kaz. I was so all about doing it one trip and exploring with Sean, etc. But, alas, that is not going to happen so we'll just make due.

I don't even care about that anymore.

SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!

McMary said...

Zak is coming home to a great home. I hope your trip goes smoothly and you can be back in your home as planned to begin a new exciting life. I can't wait to see pictures of the amazing Zak.--have I told you I love his name?

Tricia said...

You are almost there! Like you said, this trip will be so much less stressful and you can really enjoy it. I wonder...when can you use those frequent flyer miles? They don't make it easy anymore. That would have been icing on the cake. So excited to see that you are so close to bringing your baby home.

Angela said...

YEA! Glad to read that you are scheduled to go back! I check on you everyday.

It will be a good summer!

Kelly and Sne said...

Glad you have dates! And they should coincide when we'll be there too. I'll send a separate email with our local cell phone number as we'll be staying in an apartment (and should have email access - but just in case).

I understand the frequent flier dilemma - I was so hoping to use my United miles to at least upgrade us. But we ran into the same thing - no changes and outrageous fare compared to KLM. Our boy will become a citizen in Memphis (where my father and his family is from) - so, yes, at least we both have family connections to the "birthplace of a new citizen!"

Happy packing - the date is just around the corner!

kitzkazventure said...

So...I commented yesterday and then proceeded to somehow delete it...then too frustrated to re-write! ;)

So glad that we will soon get to meet at the zoo and aquarium to play! So exciting!

FYI...taking your number with us to Chicago as we will be passing thru going and coming...call me next week before you guys leave!!

Also, FYI, end of June going to WI...should be able to see the Zakster on our tour thru?? Would love it! Talk soon! Nick's mom

Anonymous said...

The countdown begins! And yes, it's much less stressful packing for trip two, huh?
Shannon

Our Family of Bloggers said...

Less than a week until take off! You'll be busting Zak out of the baby house before you know it.
Isn't it amazing how for a short while the $3000 a ticket extra seemed worth it? It's funny how crazy the process makes you. Congratulations on reaching this exciting point!!!!
Safe and easy travels!

Anonymous said...

Hey! So excited for you all!! It doesn't matter about Detroit as long as that beautiful boy is Stateside and starting his American adventure with his fabulous parents. Congrats!!

I guess a trip to Cincy is a must, now!

Kath

dnd82001 said...

Great news - Sounds like you have everythng under control. Good idea on the crib and changing table - we also are not doing anything until we return after the first trip so that we know exactly what to get.

Your return trip will happen before you know it and the blogger world is ready and waiting on your son's arrival!

Darlene

Karen said...

I say be as over the top as you want to. Being giddy is a good thing! It tells the world you're excited and "into" being a mom. After Zak is home, you'll be channeling all your energy into him. Then you'll be giddy from exhaustion. ;-)

Lesanne said...

Dear Karen and Glenn,
We're so happy that your happily ever after is almost here! Zak is adorable, and while Julianna is older at 2 and 5 months, she'd be more than happy to be an older girlfriend for your cutie.
Have a safe and wonderful trip home with your angel, Leslie

dnd82001 said...

Safe travels!!

Darlene

Susan & Truman said...

Hey guys! Thanks for the comment on our blog. We have a little something in the works, but don't quite want to share it publicly on the blogs yet. But I'm sending you an email to explain! We'll still need the cheerleading though, so thanks for that!!! You leave to pick up Zak today!!! Congrats & have a safe trip - we are so excited for you!

Regina said...

I'm so excited you guys are finally going back to get your little man! Too bad they won't let you use your frequent flier miles. That stinks!

We found out our court date is July 14th so we will be headed back soon too! Too bad our paths won't cross.

I know what you mean about finding the right "exit" outfit, as well as the "coming home" outfit. It's hard! I still have time. We are also packing light and it will be so much easier knowing the routine and what we really need and don't need.

Good luck and safe travels to you!!!

Matthew Ruley said...

Yeah Yeah Yeah! Safe travels. Will you be at the Shiney River? Miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

Hey - you're not over the top - you're a new mama - and that's how new mama's are supposed to act!!

ANastasia's friends from her orphanage are scheduled to arrive at 6pm on June 26 - how cool if you guys arrive at same time!!! I'd love to see you off the plane!!!

Enjoy your last few days in Zak's home country!! Oh - and don't worry about him becoming citizen in Detroit!! ANastasia landed in NYC - and by that point in our adoption journey - we really didn't care. Mark actually said he was just happy to be in a place where if there was a problem - we could walk home!!!

Love you
Kim