Sunday, December 12, 2010

Closing in on two weeks!


Faithful blog readers, please accept our apologies for the massive time caverns between posts. Between exhaustion, technological challenges (both lack of Internet, and the work-arounds required because Blogger is often blocked), crazy schedules, and a 4-year-old to entertain, it’s been tough to find the energy to blog. Add to that the fact that every day melts into the next, and I find it’s been more challenging for me to keep up the blog than it was when we traveled for Max. But, enough about my whining (although I revert back to it at the end of this post - ha!), let’s jump into the update that you surely tuned in for in the first place.


Allie (and Max):


We continue to see our daughter blossom right before our eyes. She is talking more and more, and becoming much more relaxed around us. She now loves to give and receive hugs, and she has the deepest most sincere belly-laugh when we play silly games or tickle her. As she continues to come out of her shell, Max becomes more committed to his alter-ego, and he becomes shockingly whiny and needy. Today (Saturday), I thought I would lose my mind. We all had a restless night Friday night, following a great birthday celebration that evening with the other families, and for whatever reason (too much chocolate cake?), Max was up for much of the night Friday night. I was tired, slightly hung-over, and I forgot to bring the two police cars that Max likes to play with during our visits – and Max spent the first 20 minutes whining about those cars. It’s really interesting to watch Allie during Max’s craziness – she truly just ignores him. I have a sad feeling that any extreme emotions one way or the other may go largely ignored (and certainly discouraged) in the orphanage. But, Max finally bounced out of it long enough for us to sit on the floor and all play in the same vicinity of one another.



I repeat again that Glenn is just amazing during our visits with Allie – he is on the floor with her putting pony tail holders into her horse’s mane, playing dress-up with some awesome Colorform dolls that Michele let us borrow, and partaking in endless tea parties. On the other hand, I am participating in police chases with Max. Whatever it takes, whatever it takes.




On Friday, we had a short but fun adventure with Allie, as we got to take her to get her passport photo taken. We pulled up at the orphanage, and she was already standing outside, all bundled up, holding our translator’s hand. She climbed in the van, which gave the Coles and the Hustons a chance to meet her. She sat stoically in Glenn’s lap (because Max claimed my lap as soon as he figured out that Allie was getting into the van with us!), and it was hard to tell what was going through her mind. We got to the photographer’s office, and stripped off her winter gear from the waist up so a couple of quick pictures could be snapped. I was of course yelling “smile” as the coordinator and the photographer were admonishing me that she had to have a serious face. I then pulled out my camera to capture the moment, at which point I was reprimanded again. Sheesh, where’s the joy, people?! We had a chance to quickly show Sam’s passport picture to Allie, as we were picking those up from the photographer who the day before had visited the baby house in person to take the little ones’ pictures. Allie seemingly showed no recognition of Sam at all – so sad! We were in and out of the place in five minutes, and then went back to the orphanage to play.


As Allie talks and interacts more, we are really coming to realize how strange it is going to be for her when we are on our own, without an interpreter. We have a feeling that she will retreat back into her shell for awhile, and we’ll work hard as a family to help us all communicate while she is learning English. She has been “diagnosed” as being severely developmentally delayed, and we are so anxious to bring her home to get her the assistance that she (might) need. (As those of us who have adopted internationally know, the diagnoses we receive in country aren't always accurate). The environment and experience now isn’t real by any stretch of the imagination, so it’s not really possible for us to really be able to tell what her special needs are, if any. In so many ways, she has already blown past Max as far as her coloring and drawing and creativity with modeling clay, the Colorform dolls, her pony-tail dexterity, etc. We know that she will flourish in a family!


No fair critiquing my attempt to draw our "family." But do feel free to comment on how perfectly my little girl is holding her pencil!


Sam:


We had an extraordinary experience with a caretaker on Saturday. As I mentioned before, we “bond” in a room that was formerly a baby room. A caretaker who used to work in this now-closed-down room saw the light on, and came in to find out why the room was in use. It turns out that she worked in the baby room when Sam was in that very room, AND, she took care of Max who was in that very same room 4 years ago! We weren’t sure if Max had been in that baby room or not, since he was already in the 1-year-old room when we first met him. We talked to this lovely woman for a really long time (with Olga’s interpreting help), and she told us a lot about Max as a baby and Sam as a baby. She had tears in her eyes, and so did I!! We took pictures of her holding Sam, and she promised to come back again to hopefully catch Max awake, as he was asleep through Sam’s entire visit on Saturday. I hugged her so tight and through my tears thanked her for taking such good care of my boys when they were babies. What a moment -- I will always and forever cherish it.


In the meantime, Sam’s visits truly do just blend all together. We play and giggle and dance (have introduced the IPod and Christmas tunes via a portable speaker) and hug and kiss and the time flies by. I know I keep saying it, but these visits are so vastly different than our visits with Allie – in large part because Max often sleeps through them, but also because we already know how to bond and play with a toddler, and we’re still figuring out how to do so with Allie. Glenn was tossing Sam up in the air and he started giggling and laughing – and I heard his sister’s laugh in him! I cannot wait to reunite these kids!!!




The woman in these pictures is the representative of the Guardianship Council. She swings by most days to check on us. She was also our representative for Max, and we really like her. We wish it was easier to communicate with her! She will be with us in court, hopefully saying really nice things about us. :-)


Max:


Max is growing up right before our eyes. Not only is he about to turn 4 (what?!?!), but he seems to have figured out that he has to be a big boy and do grown-up stuff on this trip. Okay, admittedly, he regresses to the mind and body of a 2-year-old when we are visiting Allie, but the rest of the time (or at least, most of the time), he is acting mature beyond his little 4-year-old body, entertaining himself day in and day out, enduring hours-long dinners, drinking weird tasting milk and eating weird tasting bread (to him anyway), bundling-up and un-bundling multiple times a day, etc., etc., etc, all while out of his typical routine and absent any contact whatsoever with other kids other than his new (mostly ignored) brother and sister. He is really taking this experience in, and I wish his verbal skills could keep up with his little mind, as I’d love to be able to capture in his own words what this trip has meant to him. (Alas, I think he would probably mostly talk about the van, the taxis, and Mr. Itch – the name he has now given Mitch). But, if I can catch him in just the right mood, I think I’ll try to get him to tell the story, and we’ll see what we get. We are just so proud of him, and we’re counting on that resiliency to turbo-charge once he realizes that he’s sharing his house with Allie and Sam – forever.



What's so great about this picture: a) Mr. Itch fashioned these chopsticks for Max, and he loves using them (while his mom and dad use a fork); b) this was my multiple hour birthday dinner, and Max hung in there like a champ; and c) (most shocking), he is putting a vegetable into his mouth. Admittedly, it is deep fried cauliflower, but it's a vegetable none-the-less! Veggies do not otherwise pass the lips of this child.


Us:


We’re hanging in there. We have good days and bad, and the experience is just so very different in the winter and with a 4-year-old along. We can’t just “go for a long walk”, or “sightsee” or “shop” the way we did when we were here 2 ½ years ago. I also can’t work in the evenings as freely as I did, and that is stressing me out, both because of my disappearing vacation balance and the work piling up. There are still many things we’d like to see and do, but when it comes time to bundle up Max (and carry him off) to see and do those things, our energy level often doesn’t match our plans. We also have our moments of fear/anxiety/what-the-hell-are-we-doing-adopting-two-kids?, but we of course power through them. I continue to say that my mood is primarily impacted by three things: whether the Internet is working, whether the sun is shining, and whether or not I make time to exercise. (I would now add to that list, “how much wine I drank the night before” – ha! -- but I don't plan to EVER drink Georgian red wine again). We want to be enthusiastic about staying through Christmas, and I have thought often about waking up at The Shiny River on Christmas morning, but honestly, if we can get home sooner, we will. And, we feel guilty for feeling that way – for jumping at the chance to go home, which means leaving Allie and Sam that much sooner. In case it’s not clear from reading between the lines – I might be a bit of a mess from time to time. :-) Fortunately, I am surrounded -- literally and virtually -- by people who totally understand the ups and downs in this process, and I never stop feeling so fortunate to have so much support from our friends and family.


Well, I'm off to think about Max's birthday party! I can't wait to go to the bakery to pantomime "Toy Story cake please".


19 comments:

Tricia said...

I'm so happy to see how well you are all doing. Great names - Allie and Sam. Happy Birthday to Max!

Kari J said...

Karen, you are right about the ups and downs and I can't imagine not going out for a long walk. We did a lot of that and it does help relieve anxiety. I've heard the Shiny River now has an exercise room- so thats good. I read Olga's name in that post- PLEASE- give her a great big hug from us! Masha still-16 months later- says she misses "my Olya".
I am so glad that the bonding is going so well. You can call me anytime, although I know you will be awesome! Max is a trooper!
Please give him big birthday wishes from Michigan!
warmly,
Kari

Friends and Family said...

We adopted from Semey and I can remember so well just wanting to be able to go for a walk but it was -40 most days although I did brave it once or twice we also brought our 10 year old daughter with us, I too felt very stressed at times about wanting to leave so I could save as much vacation as posible, but at the same time felt guilty about it. When it was time to leave I was so sad so many mixed emotions sometimes I was just a basket case but as you know in the end it is so worth all the ups and downs, hang in there we are all rooting for you and love to follow along!!!!!

Kelly and Sne said...

So happy to see that bonding with your new kids is going well. And Max is being a trooper too for the most part. Your experience is SO similar to ours this past Summer with Miras (although we were able to get out more, we had zero energy or motivation to do so with a sleep deprived toddler in tow). Having a child there with you adds a whole new dimension to the trip. Our second trip to Kaz was NOTHING like the first one to adopt Miras. We were a bit disheartened by that as we wanted to feel the same love of Semey and excitement/enthusiasm during our trip to bond with Irina that we did with Miras. But the exhaustion of dealing with an over-tired, whiny, clingy toddler (who, yes, had to endure 1-2 hour meals 1-2 times per day), anxiety about the adoption itself and all of the travel and procedural hiccups prevented that. Our Irina has a great belly laugh and dimple that absolutely captured our hearts just like your Allie. And she loves to be tossed in the air. How wonderful to be able to discover new things about your children daily. Here's hoping that you are all back home for Christmas then have a speedy return for Sam and Allie! I can't wait to read about how the adventure will unfold! p.s. Happy Birthday Max! Fortunately they know 'toy story' and 'thomas' and such there. Every time Miras wore his Thomas shirt out, at least one child would stop and point and yell "THOMAS!"

Amy said...

Well, you are running the international adoption marathon, times two, with a little one in tow. If you weren't exhausted at this point we would have to hook a cape on your back and proclaim you SuperWoman. A slap happy sense of humor will power you through some of this (it is better than crying) and I see you have mastered this humor style. : ) A lot is going on for you. There will be transitions galore once you all get home. Having never been given the attention she needed Allie most certainly has a long way to come out of herself. Wonderful that you will get to see her do this and will be there to help her through it. The human mind, especially a child's, has powers of plasticity that are remarkable. Given a fair shot she will probably thrive beyond anyone's wildest imagination. I would highly recommend taking one day at a time. Enjoy what is enjoyable and try and take a tip from the two newest survivors in your family and let the other stuff roll off your back. There is plenty to think about, and do, and stress about, but you don't have to get it all done in one day. Be nice to yourself in the middle of this roller coaster ride. I know you have been. So, be extra nice to yourself...you deserve it!!!

Aunt Mindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aunt Mindy said...

Thanks for sharing a couple of truly special moments with all of us who love you and your family. The fact that you were able to talk with one of Max and Sam's caretakers is indeed priceless. As you stated, based on what you have been sharing about Allie, I'm sure that the developmental delays they are referring to are very small and I was thinking exactly as you wrote before I even got to the part where you said . . . "Allie will flourish in your family". If I recall, didn't they say something similar to that about Max? I would think that most children in an orphanage would have some . . .

Anyway, again, I really think you need to consider writing. Such a great story teller and that is a rare gift.

Can't wait until you guys come home regardless of when it is :)

kitzkazventure said...

So is it just me, or is it kind of ironic that Sam has a shirt on that says I love mom and dad?? I don't think that you brought that so do they just have that one laying around for when children start bonding....interesting. anyway, my cup over floweth....you have filled me up. Love you!

dnd82001 said...

I can't imagine the emotional stress the three of you are under however you are strong and just like no 2 kids are alike I guess it's safe to say no 2 adoptions are alike - especially a Kaz one!!

It's all good and yes I can imagine when you start thinking about the "alls" that will be coming up you are no doubt getting stressed and anxious on so many fronts.....take a deep breath and take it one step at a time and step by step things will happen either the way you hoped or the way they are suppose to.

As far as being anxious to get home - I will say we all feel the same way - we want to be with our children but we also need & want to get back to our normal lives so you should not fret about that at all.

Your children sound amazing and yes when they are home they will thrive and your new lives will all fall back in to place - maybe just a bit chaotic - having three that would be a given!!

Life is good - enjoy it and countinue to count your blessings!

Happy Birthday to you and Happy Birthday to Max.

Continued blessings!
Darlene

minime0910 said...

First of all Max ate a vegetable? It's truly a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!! happy Birthday big 4 year old boy!!! Also, I have to laugh at Karen K's comment about the shirt. Hannie had on a daddy's little sweetheart shirt when I met her...and seeing as how there is no baby daddy...hahaha we had to laugh it off. Hannah had the same developmental delay diagnois and of course it was totally inaccurate. However if you do need some assistance when you get home, I know a great speech therapist, LOL!!! Thanks for the update we are still cheering you on every step of the way!! XO Erin PS ~ It's Sunday afternoon here and the Bengals are tied! That's almost like a win!

Karen said...

I just love the sound of little kid belly laughs. But, even more so, I love how Glenn is getting in there doing all those girlie things. What a great dad. Although it's tough being cooped up more than you like, you're totally surrounded by love. And for that I'm thankful.

Hope Max got his Toy Story cake. I'd love to see you explain that one. Ha.

ooxx,
MinG

Karon said...

Isaac came to us a 3.5 years old, but was developmentaly like a 26 months old and emotinaly 18 months. He has been home 4.5 months and is now up to a 3 year old developemntaly and 26 month old emotionaly. It is amazing to see him rocket through the stages. Be sure to look into your school districts early intervention program for her. We love the program they boys are in.

aultfamily said...

Things seem to be moving right along. It must be so much fun to watch Allie as she unwraps like a sweet piece of candy. (Forgive me, I'm thinking about chocolate!)

That is great how comfortable the visits with Sam have been too! Happy birthday Max! I sure hope you get a Toy Story cake. We've rented Toy Story 3 for tonight and we'll think of you all in Kaz! :)

Jstar said...

You guys are coping so well with the ups and downs and cold and 3 kiddos! You are so right, all three kids are going to blossom and shine (with the occasional tantrum, of course) once they get home!

Kristan and Mark said...

Thank God for blessings such as naps for Max during visits, at leasat Sam's.

If it makes you feel any better, Ryan at age 8, had his share of meltdowns and he didn't even have to endure the baby house daily for weeks at a time. So I think Max is doing absolutely fantastic, especially to be 4!!

Be kind to yourself my friend!! I think you have had an incredible attitude in some of the most stressful circumstances. Honestly. I don't hear any whining, maybe just a lot of wine, ;) <3

Love hearing about Sam and Allie and love seeing little glimpses of their precious little faces too.

. said...

Thanks for letting us follow along on your journey. I know it won't be an easy one, getting all your kids transitioned into the new reality of life as a family together. But it really sounds like you are up for the challenge. Marzia IS a gem and it looks, from the photos, like she's enjoying your family a lot. I'm sure she'll be happy to recommend you at court. Please tell her Coley's family says "hi" and that Coley is doing really well (she smiled when she saw the photos of Marzia...perhaps she sort of recognizes/remembers her?)....if Marzia doesn't remember who Coley is, just tell her she's "Kazakh Josh's" daughter:). And give Olga our love too.

Keep on keeping on and thanks for posting about so much.....it's awesome to see the beautiful big family God is forming for you all!
Shan in CO

Henry's mom said...

Hi Karen,
First of all Happy 4th birthday Max! For sure a birthday you will never forget, turning 4 in "Kazland"!!!
Thank you for being so open and honest on your blog! I can only imagine how tough things are this time around. Just the change in the mind set of adopting two children instead of 1, is enough to put anyone over the edge:) I know it is all going to work just the way G_D had planned but it still not not make it easy. I am sure the visits are really tough too with sharing your time with a jealous 4 year and toddlers. Hang in there Karen it will get easier.

Thinking of you all the time and enjoying reading your blog so much!

Much love to you.
xxoo

Tracy said...

happy birthday Max!!

I was going to point out the pencil holding too! I hope our girls can be friends and I still hope our boys can meet up soon!!

So glad things are going so wonderfully.
Praying for you all.

Gretchen said...

They don't call it a roller coaster for nothing! Hang in there, you have an awful lot of people thinking of you all everyday.

How amazing that you were able to meet one of Max and Sam's caregivers. That is just wonderful that you will be able to tell them about that.

Going from one to three quickly is challenging but so worth it. It is it's own roller coaster every day. You are wonderful parents already and have all the tools, love, and smarts it will take to give all three of your kids the perfect environment to grow up healthy.